Price: Individual classes £25 each/ all 4 sessions £85
(We can provide packs for any of these sessions at an additional cost of £12.50 per child – please contact us to organise this in advance of the session)
Dates and Times: all Tuesdays 1pm – 3.30pm
- Week 1 – learning to use a sewing machine – 30th July
- Week 2 – Sewing in straight lines and making a simple cushion cover – 6th August
- Week 3 – Making bunting – 20th August
- Week 4 – Making a tote bag – 27th August
Level Required: complete beginners who want to learn to sew and use a sewing machine from 11 – 16 years old
Maximum class size: 4
Here’s the detail:
These classes are perfect for children who want to learn to use a sewing machine and aspiring young sewists. We want to encourage more young people to learn to sew. Each week they will advance and learn new skills and make a different project to put these skills into practice. Participants are welcome to come for one session or all of them.
In Week 1 they will learn how to thread a sewing machine and practice using the machine on calico. Week 2 they will cut out and sew together a simple envelope backed cushion which they can use in their bedroom or as a gift. They will practice sewing in straight lines and adding a seam allowance.
By Week 3 they will be cutting out different shapes and learning to sew shapes and points and add a tape to create a mini piece of bunting and Week 4 will advance to using a pattern to sew together a tote bag with lining.
If your child attends all 4 sessions they will get a certificate and a goody bag on completion.
Young people will be supervised all the time they are in the workshop.
Whats included in the price?
Use of our brand new Janome sewing machines and all sewing equipment
In Week 1 we will provide all the materials they require and during the sessions all the patterns they will use.
What do I need to bring?
(We can provide packs for any of these sessions at an additional cost of £12.50 per child)
- Week 1 – nothing everything you need will be provided
- Week 2 – 1/2 metre of fabric for your cushion (preferably quilting weight cotton or canvas) and matching thread
- Week 3 – a selection of fabrics of quilting weight cotton for bunting and matching thread (we will provide the tape)
- Week 4 – 1/2 metre of outer fabric (canvas weight or quilters weight cotton) 1/2 metre of lining fabric (quilters cotton weight) matching thread