DATE: Thursday 7th, 14th, 21st and 28th October
TIME: 1400 – 1700
LOCATION: Stitches & Cream, 16 High Street Falmouth, Cornwall TR11 2AB
MAX CLASS SIZE: 4
TELL ME MORE
The aim of the class is to come away with a well fitted trouser block. Having your own block is so useful and essential for making new patterns at home. We will be drafting the block from scratch from your measurements, so please wear leggings so that we can get accurate measurements before we start. After we have drafted the block and added seam allowance, we will make up a quick toile in calico to check the fit, before making any adjustments on the pattern. Please note you will not have a finished pair of trousers to take home, you will have a calico toile and pattern block. From your block you can then make pattern design alterations, such as adding pockets, adding a waistband or waist facing, seam lines etc at home.
TECHNIQUES YOU WILL LEARN
- Take accurate body measurements
- Draft the block from your measurements
- Adding seam allowance to your block
- Cutting out and sewing up a quick calico toile
- Fitting the toile and knowing what fit adjustments to look for
- Learn how to translate your fit adjustments onto a pattern
- Learn about seam allowance, notches, grain lines, preparing fabrics to cut and cutting techniques
WHAT IS INCLUDED IN THE PRICE?
- We will provide all the pattern cutting tools and paper you will need
- Calico to make your toile
- Course booklet to take home.
WHAT DO I NEED TO BRING?
- Absolutely nothing! Everything is provided for the class.
- Please wear tight fitting leggings so that we can take accurate body measurements and fit the calico toile.
WHO IS THIS CLASS SUITABLE FOR?
This is an intermediate class. This course is aimed at confident dressmakers who have experience working with commercial patterns. You will get a lot more out of the class if you’ve already made up a several garments before and got a grasp of garment construction. We will cover all the pattern cutting basics with you, such as: seam allowance, notch, drill hole, grain line. If you are wondering if this is the course for you, don’t hesitate to drop me a line to chat it through!
ABOUT YOUR TEACHER
Helen from Dot n Cross is a pattern cutter who has worked in the fashion industry in London for 10 years. She has cut patterns for several high-end designer brands, including Victoria Beckham, Mary Katrantzou and Karen Millen. She loves sharing the knowledge she has gained over the years with others, to help them on their sewing journey. Whether they are taking their first steps into the fashion industry, or improving their home sewing techniques.
See our website to read our cancellation policy before booking a class with us.
HOW TO BOOK
All classes should be paid for upfront.
Please see our cancellation policy before booking
T: 01326 218770
A: Stitches & Cream, 34 High Street, Falmouth, TR11 2AD