TRACE THE PATTERN FROM YOUR FAVOURITE TOP OR DRESS
DATE: Saturday 26th October 2019
TIME: 10am – 4pm, with 1 hour for lunch
LOCATION: Stitches & Cream, Falmouth, Cornwall
MAX CLASS SIZE: 4
TELL ME MORE
Everyone has a garment that they wish would last forever, or that they could get in lots of different colours and fabrics. Come along on this class, and learn how to trace off your favourite dress or top, so that you have a fully workable pattern to take home and make again and again.
During this class, you will learn how to make a paper pattern from your favourite top or dress, without having to unpick a thing! We will be creating the pattern, adding seam allowance, and even making small pattern changes, such as changing the length, or adding a seam line. We will then be cutting out the pattern in fabric (fabric not included in the price, but you can buy some on the day). There won’t be time to make your garment on the course, but we will talk about construction techniques and the order to sew it at the end. If your pattern has quite a few pieces, you might not get on to cutting out the pieces by the end of the session.
TECHNIQUES YOU WILL LEARN
- Basic techniques of tracing off a garment onto dot and cross paper, using push pins, tracing wheels, tape measures and a pattern master
- Discussing seam allowance and grain lines.
- Making some pattern pieces from scratch, eg. straight plackets, simple facings.
- Cut out your pattern pieces in fabric (depending on the complexity of your garment)
WHAT IS INCLUDED IN THE PRICE?
- We will provide all the pattern cutting tools you will need and pattern cutting paper.
- Course booklet to take home.
WHAT DO I NEED TO BRING?
- Your favourite garment – send me a photo once you’ve booked of the garment you’re thinking of making to email@example.com
- Something in cotton or a sturdy-ish fabric will be best if this is your first time tracing. We wouldn’t recommend bringing a jersey or stretch garment, but if you’re up for a challenge, then you’ll need to make your garment in jersey/stretch fabric, or it won’t fit!
- Fabric to cut out the garment in – there will be a wide selection of gorgeous fabrics to buy on the day from Stitches & Cream.
- It’s a good idea to have pre-washed your fabric so that you know the shrinking is done before you sew a garment. Wash the fabric on the temperature you normally wash your clothes, or a bit higher. If you are buying the fabric on the day of the class, you can use our steam iron to pre-shrink the fabric before cutting.
WHO IS THIS CLASS SUITABLE FOR?
This is an intermediate class, meaning you should have prior experience of working with bought patterns and be comfortable with basic pattern cutting terminology. You will get a lot more out of the class if you’ve already made up a few different garments before and got a good grasp of garment construction. We will cover all the pattern cutting basics with you, such as: seam allowance, notch, drill hole, grain line etc. If you are wondering if this is the course for you, don’t hesitate to drop me a line to chat it through!
ABOUT YOUR TEACHER
Helen is a pattern cutter who has worked in the fashion industry in London for 10 years. She has cut patterns for several high-end designer brands, including Victoria Beckham, Mary Katrantzou and Karen Millen. She loves sharing the knowledge she has gained over the years with others, to help them on their sewing journey. Whether they are taking their first steps into the fashion industry, or improving their home sewing techniques.
See our website to read our cancellation policy before booking a class with us.
HOW TO BOOK
Bookings are through Stitches & Cream.
T: 01326 218770
A: Stitches & Cream, 34 High Street, Falmouth, TR11 2AD